Tuesday 8 February 2011

Tango Down!


Evening casual and avid readers. Apologies for lack of bloggage the last few days - I’ve been busy with work and applying for jobs and general shenanigans.
Anyway, to bring things back into normality, here is a verbatim conversation today I had whilst at work. Many of you ask me what I do at work and I hope the below helps answer it:

The following occurs between 11:40 and 11:50 am.

*Phone rings*

Me: ( usual speaking baritone-pitched voice) Good morning, Finance.

Caller: Hello, is that Denise?

Me:  ...... Um...no, it’s not I’m afraid.  (Puzzled face)

Caller: Oh, Can I ask who it is then? It’s Katie here from So-and-So Company.

Me: Paul Edwards here, accounts payable. Denise was my predecessor. Anyway, hi Katie, how can I help?

Katie: Hi there, basically I’m ringing up regarding an old November invoice that’s quite late in being paid.

Me: I’m sorry to hear that, can I ask for the invoice number please?
Katie: (Interrupting) The value is for £216 

Me: (looks for invoice on computer system and realise she’s not actually listening) I’m sorry, I can’t seem to find one of that value I’m afraid. Could I ask you to be so kind as to provide me with a copy of it please?

Katie: Of course, would you like it by fax or email?

Me: (Beginning to realise she’s not the sharpest crayon in the box and inevitably play up to this fact) Well, we don’t have a fax machine so email would be ideal please. 

Katie: OK, what’s your email address?

Me: It’s Paul Robert , P-A-U-L-R-O-B-E-R-T.... 

Katie: (interrupting again) Paul Roberts@...

Me: No. Paul Robert... ending in T.  As in T for Tango 

Katie: Paul Robert Tango @....

Me: No no no!

Katie: Eh? What? Start again!

Me: Paul Robert dot ... Edwards 

Katie: Paul.....Robert..... no tango? 

Me: No tango. (Deep inhale to avoid torrent of laughter, whilst the rest of the department cackle around me in surround-sound)

Katie: Paul..Robert...  dot?

Me: Dot Edwards

Katie: Dot Edwards

Me: @ GE dot com    (Avoiding the desire to use Golf - Echo)

Katie: @ G E dot com

Me: Yes (with sigh of relief) 

Katie: OK, thanks Robert, I’ll get that to you now. 

Me:   ----

Katie: Bye!

Me: Bye. (puts phone down with considerable force)

Me: (enraged) Absolute fudge biscuits!!!!!



Five minutes duly followed until I received an email with two attachments from Katie. It read as followed:

Paul, as per our phone conversation, please find the two November invoices attached for £115 and £111. Please could you get back to me as to a payment date.
Regards,
Sue King. 

Two things. 
Firstly, she said it was one invoice on the phone call but it’s now suddenly two. (Both of which we had on our system)
Secondly, she obviously let someone else use her email, but failed to amend the signature so it appeared to be from someone else. Perplexed and still infuriated I replied thus:

Dear Sue,
Many thanks for your email and for the invoices. Your colleague telephoned me regarding the status of a £216 invoice which fails to exist. Both of the invoices you attached are clear on our system and if she had been clearer in explaining this, it would have saved both of us a lot of hassle. 
Kind Regards,
Paul 

Moral high-ground achieved! Needless to say, neither Sue or Katie replied. Apologies for the lack of niceties in today’s blog. I just wanted to share the grief I go through on a daily basis and wanted to use this as an example to state that accountants are sometimes seen as dull or ‘beige’, but it’s only because they have to deal with people like Katie...and/or Sue regularly. 
Anyway, hope your day was less frustrating. Comment if you wish, I’ll be back tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment